Getting a partner visa in Colombia

When I got my one year live, work, study visa for Colombia in early February, it was definitely a woohoo moment.

I had been worried about getting it because the reality is that I just want to be with mi novio. Another 6 month separation was not high on the list of tortures I’d be willing to face.

Since I did a fair bit of research, asking couples we know who have been through the process and blog reading into getting a partner visa to stay in Colombia, I want help others out with understanding the process, especially since there are likely to be some changes now the Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores (MRE) is responsible for visas and not the now-defunct DAS.

What do I need?

A list of the requirements, the process and fees for the Conjugal or Companion to a Colombian National visas can be found on this page of the Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores website. Note that although there is an  option to change the language of the page to English (in the top right corner) the Spanish information is much more comprehensive and detailed.

I had read that there is a requirement to demonstrate that we had been together for 2 years (which we can’t show) however you will note that there is no mention of this on the MRE website which was given to us by a government official at the visa office in Bogotá as the ten commandments of partner visas.

Note that there are two points under Requisitos Especiales which are basically asking for the same document, the escritura publica or marriage certificate.

How do I get the escritura publica?

Perhaps the trickiest document to arrange (aside from any documentation you are submitting to enable you to work in a regulated profession in Colombia) is the escritura publica from the Notary declaring our defacto relationship. I think the pursuit of this document brings you to the ‘living together for 2 years’ request.

In Santa Marta there are three notaries. Notaria 1 said I needed to have a Colombian entry stamp in my passport at least 2 years ago, which I don’t have. Notaria 3 said I needed to have a non-interrupted stay of at least 2 years without leaving the country, which I definitely don’t have. Notaria 2 said yes, she could help us and had processed escritura publicas for other Colombian/foreigner couples.

We were slightly concerned by the differing information from the notary offices, however given that the most helpful and approachable woman at Notaria 2 had helped other couples before led us to take the chance on paying the COP$160,000 fee in order to get the essential document.

All we needed to provide (in addition to the fee) were copies of my passport bio page and the stamp from my latest entry  to Colombia, in my case this was just 16 days before applying for the escritura publica, along with notarised (witnessed) copies of your Colombian partner’s cedula (national ID card) and birth certificate.

During this process and in talks with la suegra, I came to learn that in order for a defacto relationship to be recognised legally (and enable access to another’s medical insurance or pension), a Colombian couple needs to live together for 2 years and have family or friends act as referees and sign a document declaring this at the Notaria. I think this is where the ‘living together for 2 years’ idea comes in, even though as foreigners the maximum stay on a tourist visa is 180 days in a calendar year, something I tried to ask politely and without any seed of frustration to Notaria 3.

Getting the escritura publica takes 2-3 business days (or 5 if the Notary’s photocopier isn’t working) and be prepared to go back the day after you lodge the application to sign the documents that will be fed up the signature hierarchy.

The forms

There are two official forms you need to fill in. They are both quite straight-forward and can be downloaded from the MRE website. However, you do need to stick a photo on Form DP-FO-67 BEFORE you go in for your appointment at the visa office. Thankfully there was a gluestick at the reception for this very purpose when I had my appointment. You wouldn’t want your application being rejected for failing to stick your photo to the form (could that possibly be the smallest infringement?).

Do the copies need to be witnessed?

This is something important that isn’t actually detailed on the MRE website, however I found this handy helper on the Government of Colombia website  which tells you whether you need the original, a photocopy or an authenticated copy of each document.

There are two ways the Notaria authenticates copies, one being sighting the original card or document and signing a stamp to verify the copy. The other, which is for the letter your Colombian partner needs to write requesting that you be granted a visa, is where your Colombian partner needs to sign a declaration stamp and then put a fingerprint on the document certifying it’s trueness because it is an original and not a copy of something else.

Any notaria can authenticate documents.

What do you write in the letter?

Mi novio was at a bit of a loss as to what to write in the letter, so I suggested he include my full name, nationality and passport number in the content, along with a statement that we have a genuine relationship and I need to live in Colombia for us to have a future together. It doesn’t need to be a long letter, just the basics and a short statement about why your Colombian partner wants you to have the right to live in Colombia.

How much does it cost?

Budget approximately COP$550,000 or US$300 for the visa process and more if you need to travel to Bogotá to lodge your application.

  • Escritura publica: COP$160,000
  • Non-refundable visa appointment fee: COP$93,000 *not exact because it is based on currency conversions from US$50, called the estudio, or study fee
  • Visa fee: COP$250,000 *not exact because it is based on currency conversions from US$160
  • Witnessing: approx COP$20,000
  • Passport photos: approx COP$5000 – $10,000
  • Photocopying of documents: approx COP$5000

How does the appointment process work?

The only place you can apply for this visa is at the office in Bogotá. Check carefully the address and opening hours of the office on the MRE website. You cannot make an appointment time, you have to just show up.

Whilst we wanted to arrive early at 7:30am when the visa office opened to avoid long queues, we needed to get one more document witnessed and the closest notary to the visa office didn’t open until 8am. Instead we arrived at 8:30am and found fewer people waiting than when we’d stopped by the day before to double-check we had all the right information and forms.

When you arrive at the visa office you need to present your passport and get a turn number. You will then receive a receipt to pay the visa appointment fee (what they call the estudio fee) at the next Banco Sudameris booth. After making your payment you find a seat in the waiting room and wait for the electronic turn system to announce your turn.

When it’s your turn you make your way down the corridor to the desk number mentioned on the turn system. I’m sure I shouldn’t need to say it but a smile, buenos dias and handshake for the immigration official should be top of your greeting checklist.

I was asked when I first arrived in Colombia and what my profession is and we were asked how we met, how long we’d been together, what our plans were, were we planning to get married and other questions along these lines. I was honestly expecting a more hardcore interview where we were interrogated separately about our likes and brands of deodorant (even one viewing of Green Card is enough to leave a lasting impression) however it didn’t come to that. I guess our honest and friendly answers and the fact that mi novio had visited me in Australia to meet my family and friends, was enough to convince the official that we have a genuine relationship without having to have a public pash fest (not advised, by the way).

After our conversation the official sent us back out to the waiting room while he looked over our documents and application. About 20 minutes later, he called us back and said that I had been granted a one year visa to live, work (in a non-regulated field) and study in Colombia. We were elated! With this news, we had the option to pay the visa fee by card or cash. Paying by VISA card (they don´t accept MasterCard) is the instant option as paying in cash requires going back out the bank booth and the interviewing official can take a card payment on the spot.

I then got a shiny new visa stuck in my passport and mi novio was told that I am his responsibility while in Colombia. Thankfully he wasn’t scared about the can of worms that could possibly be! I also think he’s secretly quite pleased that his name now appears in my passport on my visa.

More information

  • According to the MRE website, you can be granted a visa of up to 3 years, which is at the discretion of the immigration official at your appointment.
  • There is no such thing as renewing this type of visa, you have to go through the process from the beginning again at the end of your visa.
  • The escritura publica confirming your defacto relationship can’t be older than three months, therefore when you need to apply for a new visa you need to get the escritura publica again from the Notaria.


Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores:

Colombian Government Online:

A Year Without Peanut Butter blog on getting an Independent Worker Visa process:


14 thoughts on “Getting a partner visa in Colombia

  1. Hi. Thanks for your information. i’m in a similar situation. You said that in order for the de facto visa to be legal you have to prove you’ve lived together for 2 years but, as you say, if the tourist visa is 180 days max that’s just not possible. How did you get around that then? Can you get the escritura publica without proving this and will you therefore get the visa? Thanks

    1. Hi Mquin, the visa processes have changed a bit since I wrote this post (My first visa expired and I had to get a new visa which is now valid for 3 years), and I am planning an update to this post soon. In the end, we didn’t have to prove we had lived together for 2 years, we just needed to find a notary who knew that this was no longer a requirement. Just go to your local notary together with your partner and ask to get the escritura publica to recognise your de facto (union libre) relationship. If they say you need to prove 2 years living together, go to another notary office and ask again until you find someone who will give it to you.

      The visa application form doesn’t ask for any proof of time that you have lived together, they just want to see the escritura publica (which the date of expedition has to be dated less than 3 months before your visa office visit). Be prepared however, for the visa officer to ask you questions about the length of time you have been in a relationship and living together, but don’t worry that it hasn’t been 2 years.

      I hope this helps and good luck!

      1. Thank you for that. That’s a relief!

        One more thing, is it true that you are not permitted to work with that visa? I read that on another blog but it seems a bit harsh to me!

      2. Hi Mquin, a partner visa allows you to work in any field except a regulated one, which would be as a doctor, lawyer or other profession that has to abide by certain national laws and standards. As a marketer and professional communicator, I don’t have any job restrictions. However, when you get a job you need to advise them within a couple of weeks of what you are doing.

      3. Hey there. I am now in Colombia (Cali) and going to be sorting out the partner visa soon. would you be able to give a quick update about your latest experience getting it. Thanks!

  2. Hi There, The last time I tried to get the partner visa(about 2 years ago, and have since been on a working visa) they required that I showed my birth certificate and that it was apostilled and translated. My partner and I are going to the Notary and getting the union marital De Hecho before we apply this time around, is this the same document that you recieved or just them declaring that you are in a union libre? Your process sounds so easy and that you didn´t need to have any documents from your home country! I am hoping it is that easy! Let me know as I have never spoken to anyone who has done the process before! Thanks

    1. Hi Sherrilyn

      I got my first partner visa in Feb 2013 and my second in Jan 2014 and only needed to supply a copy of the details page of my passport as home ID. No birth certificate or apostilles required. Yes, the escritura publica is the formal Union Marital de Hecho document from the notary and for that, we just needed my passport details and entry stamp to Colombia pages + mi novio’s Colombian registro civil and cedula, pay the fee and wait a few days to get it.

      If you went through the process about 2 years ago, that was probably with DAS. The process now with the Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores – at least from what I can gather – is now more streamlined and less demanding.

      Good luck!

    2. Hi Sherrilyn,

      I just got back from Notaria 41 in Bogota today and was asked for a birth certificate, translated. She said I don’t need the apostillo but I’m a bit concerned as I’ve heard from others that all documents need to be apostilled for it to be used in Colombia. Anyway, I just ordered a standard copy from the UK today.
      How did it go for you in the end? Did you get your visa?


    1. Hi Adam

      If you have some experiences of your own to share about going through the process to get a partner visa in Colombia, please feel free to share them to help others out. Things have changed slightly since I got my second visa.

      Thanks for dropping by!

  3. Hi girl
    I had wanted write to you 5 months ago but I always boyfriend had this visa on February 2014 and I want to say THANKSSSSS because we readed this blog many many times before to ask the visa…this is the only page when we found information about the interview.
    He is Hungarian and I am Colombian, we live in Medellin… this time when we was at the office was soo different, only 3 or 4 basic question for him and no more !! I was there like a statue without say nothing, that taked only 3 minutesss OMG !
    We are waiting the result soo nervous but the special moment arrived and I was the more happy women , now he have that visa for 3 years!!


  4. How long after the appointment do you physically get your passport back with visa inside? Trying to figure out flights to Bogota from Cali, what a pain!

  5. Hi Mquin,

    When I went it was very quick. We showed up to the Cancillería around 9:30am. You get a number, wait about 15-30 minutes, go in for an interview (they weren’t interested in interviewing my partner even though they told us that they would when we called), told me to wait outside, about 15 minutes later they called me in again and told me that I had to pay (I think it’s $205USD if I’m not mistaken) and then they gave me my passport back with the visa inside. I think we were in there for about an hour. However, you’re not done yet.

    Afterwards, you have to go to Migración (15 minute walk away) and activate your visa and register for your cedula extranjería, but only after you PAY for these services. When you go to Migración, they will give you a form to fill out and tell you what you have to pay and where. Luckily, the bank they send you to pay is down the street (remember banks close from 12pm-2pm).

    Note that you will also have to give them passport photos and a document to show your blood type. If you have no such official government document for your blood type, not to worry. You have two options:

    (1) there is a woman outside next to the bus stand that has presigned forms from a doctor and she will write down your RH (blood type) for you for 10.000 COP. She can also take your passport photo for you in the bus stand. (gotta love Colombia).

    (2) further down the street there is a small clinic (it looks like an apartment, the lady on the street will tell you where it is) where there is an official doctor who will take your blood and give you a document that states your blood type for 12.000 COP. I opted for this one since I actually didn’t remember if I was A+ or A-, but at the end of the day Migración doesn’t care since it’s just for data on your cedula in case you’re in an accident.

    When you’re done, you can request that you receive your cedula in another city by writing a letter and having it approved by Migración. For example, I had my cedula sent to me to the local DIAN in Cali.

    In case this helps, I posted my experience and advice on someone else’s blog here:

Leave a Reply to rummyrumgin Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s