In my second big announcement of 2013, comes the news that we are moving to Bogotá!
I´ve had an iron in the fire for a position since mid January and will finally be starting very soon.
Am I excited? You bet! And let me tell you why (in no particular order).
- I fell in love with Colombia in Bogotá
- I have an amazing new job that I have dreamt about for a long time
- We will finally be living on our own in our own apartment
- Bogotá has so many cultural activities to participate in and enjoy
- Bogotá is a crazy, creative city
- I get to wear nice clothes (and leave the shorts and singlets in Santa Marta)
- No more sweating 24 hours a day (unless I am sick)
- I get to wear boots again!
- No more earning minimum wage
- Getting to choose (and prepare) the food I want to eat
- Spending time and reconnecting with my friends there and making new friends
- Drinking water out the tap, no more boiling for 5 minutes or getting up in the middle of the night to find someone has drunk the last of the purified water
- Having professional work colleagues
- Having more travel destinations (Colombia and beyond) accessible to us for weekends or short breaks
- Crepes and Waffles!
Are there any other reasons you think I should be excited to move to Bogotá?
I can’t remember being this excited for a long time.
Not since I got into my university course of preference, or maybe it was getting the job with the huge promotion, or maybe when I got a Sportsgirl t-shirt for Christmas when I was 12. Today is right up there with them!
I woke up at 5:55am and lay there, thinking about my stressful day ahead. Finally I decided I would get up and get to it early, but not until after I’d checked my Facebook account. It was then I got a Skype call from mi novio. Still in a sleepy headspace it took me a few moments to understand what he was saying.
“Amor, tengo una visa para ir a Australia.”
Suddenly, all the talk about him visiting me in Australia was a reality. The major hurdle of getting a tourist visa was overcome! Now we are sprinting towards the finish line, full of adrenaline and excitement until we get to that day, in one month’s time, when we have an ‘airport moment’.
All the stress, worry and tension about the visa situation has evaporated. I’m so happy! I get to show mi novio my part of the world and he gets to meet my family and friends before I take off to the other side of the world, to a whole other life, to be with him.
When I finished the call, all I could think about was Paulo Coelho’s quote from The Alchemist.
“When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
My heart beats with love and happiness.